Monday, August 6, 2012

What a FUN Weekend

Had company for the weekend, and they just left.  This couple came to visit a few years ago ... Fred and Jane.  Fred was one of Rick's long-time Nascar buddies ... back when Nascar wasn't even popular.  I wasn't that excited about their first visit as I didn't know either of them. . .

Well it only took a few minutes after meeting them to really like them, and then just a few more minutes when Jane saw my stamping room and got so excited for us to bond!   She, too, is an avid stamper.   We stamped that weekend away and just finished another fun weekend of stamping!  Here are two cards we made:


This first card was made by Jane.  Before her arrival, she had placed an order from me for a few items including the Mixed Bunch stamp set and coordinating punch.  She had also ordered the new in-color card stock and ink pads.  She was so anxious to use them so I showed her a few sample card ideas I pulled up from our exclusive Stampin' Up! Stampers Showcase using the Mixed Bunch stamp set.  She was overwhelmed how many ideas were out there.  She chose this card layout and adapted it to the colors she had.   I think it turned out absolutely beautiful!

This next card was my creation.  It has a funny story!


  Rick wanted to show Fred and Jane the decorated models up at Sun City's sales center.  I've been up there about 50 times both getting decorating ideas for our home and showing various guests the models.   It was a hot day and I wasn't really into going to see the models one more time; but for the sake of Fred and Jane, I was a trooper and went along.  As I sat on the sofa in one of the last models, I looked closely at the colors in the sofa.  They really resembled our So Saffron, Basic Gray and Soft Suede.  Then I looked up and there was a Poppy picture on the wall.  At this point I really couldn't wait to get home and start creating.  This was the result. 

 I stamped the poppies in Black Stazon permanent ink because I wanted to use my new watercolor crayons.  Oh, did I mention the Poppy picture on the wall was a watercolor!   I see why watercolor artists rave about these crayons ... they are idiot proof!   While I am a former watercolor artist and may have a slight advantage over other non-artists, I simply could not believe how easy it was to get a water-colored look with simply these crayons and an Aqua Painter (pg 178) tool.   I applied a little So Saffron crayon on the poppies and a little Soft Suede crayon to the shadowed areas of the poppies.  Then with a light touch of the Aqua Painter (filled with water), I blended the colors and wahlaaaaah, it was finished.  For the stems, I colored them in using the Basic Gray crayon and then just ran the Aqua Painter over the stems.  Where the color went out of the lines looks like shadows (can't see this too well on this photo).  

Tomorrow starts Diva week.  They, too, will be playing with some of these awesome Watercolor Crayons!!!

Thanks Fred and Jane for making the long drive from PA and coming to play with Rick and me!

No comments: